Sunday, December 20, 2009

Today we shovel snow, tommorow it may be something darker

On a beautiful snowy day like today, there is nothing I would rather do than sit here and write the second entry in what shall go down through the ages as the most eloquent, thought out, and ingenious bLawg. Just using the term "Blawg" sets my teeth on edge. I must take a shower to wash away the stain of internet grammar and spelling. u kno wut i meen? (Max returns from shower)

In any case, I am proud to say I have my first and even unsolicited blawg follower. Thank you Robert Connolly, one of my oldest and best looking friends. Sorry ladies, he's married.

I have just finished shoveling my neighbors walk, and half of mine, (thank god Osi is stronger than me and finished our driveway!) I have done all the dishes, and am sitting here watching a Humphrey Bogart marathon that I DVRed. All Through The Night is very good. So far it incorporates one of what I consider the three most essential elements for quality cinema: Nazis. The other two elements are 2) Lesbians, and 3)Little People. If you can combine this combination in a movie, you deserve an Oscar. Any one of the three is downright compelling all on its own.

Since this is supposed to be a Legal Blog (Blawg) I will tell you what is troubling me today.
I am thinking about landlord/ tennant law. More and more cases are flooding through my door regarding some slumlord who is violating tennants rights. More often than not, the tennants are unaware they even have rights. A woman called me two days ago to tell me that she had recieved a Notice to Quit and not wanting to overstay her welcome actualy blew town within the three days provided in the document! Have you ever heard such a thing? She had no lawyer to tell her that she could wait for the complaint to be served and that she could stall with an Answer and Special Defenses. In any event, she contacted me because now her landlord has placed a defaulted debt entry on her credit report. She was late one month and now she has a hefty debilitating black mark on her credit. I'm willing to bet the landlord mitigated his damages too and had another tennant assuming that apartment immediatly. I am going to review the lease for the purpose of seeing if there is any possibility of repairing this unfortunate woman's credit and slapping the landlord with Fair Credit Report Act (FCRA) violations.

In another instance of obnoxious landlords some young men were living in a slum infested with vermin, mold and other assorted pests. The landlord was never accessable, there was no hot water, there was a hole in the ceiling/ bathroom floor, and there was no heat. Folks, these are violations of the tennants right to quiet enjoyment and the covenant of habitability. The best part, the landlord has sued the tennants for back rent owed! After further investigation, he does not even have a certificate of occupancy on the premises. We are counterclaiming. This is what I am talking about!

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you have problems with your rental, at least consult with an attorney before doing something silly like moving out or staying. There may be good legal recourse.

I am going to see if Humphrey Bogart beat the murder rap for Joe Reginald. If you are looking to be saved, look no further; we are willing to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment